The Roedean Farm Mission
The Roedean Farm mission is to:
- develop awareness of farming and livestock
- encourage outdoor pursuits
- promote sustainable farming and ecology
- raise awareness about the environment, agriculture and food production
- give opportunities and training for the care and handling of animals
- ensure animal welfare through training and guidance
Sustainability and Conservation
Set at the stunning interface between the South Downs National Park and the English Channel, the Roedean Farm provides learners with a unique experience of the exquisite local ecology. The foundations of conservation and sustainable farming practice underpin all educational activities on the Farm. Biodiversity surveys, the impact of grazing and other conservation projects are tied into the academic profile of the Biology, Geography and PSHE curriculum areas. Students who attend the Farm, experience a wide range of co-curricular activities relating to issues of sustainability and conservation. Developing partnerships with local schools will provide opportunities for widening community involvement and further promote conservation values.
Providing genuine opportunities for compassion is at the heart of our Farm philosophy. All tutor groups are encouraged to take on farming responsibilities to promote these values across the School. The sheep and poultry are managed and produced in line with traditional and current farming practices, including rearing and health care. Animal welfare remains our primary concern.